This sandwich is one of those ‘what do I have in my freezer I need to use up’ meals 🙂 I made some homemade baguettes a while ago. I’ve also got some pesto from my summer basil in there. The combo of pesto and sun dried tomato is so yummy, so I decided on a fresh mozzarella, sun dried tomato and pesto sandwich on baguette with roasted mushrooms and arugula since I had those around as well.
You can use any kind of pesto for this, as well as any kind of bread. A sturdy bread works best though since it will coated with pesto and sun dried tomato oil. This sandwich would be delicious with a grilled chicken breast on it too, but I went for meatless today.
To roast the mushrooms, I just cleaned them and sliced them into thick slices and placed on a parchment lined baking sheet tossed with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. I put them in a 425 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes until they had released their liquid and were starting to turn golden brown.
I wanted the cheese warm and slightly melted for this, so I cut my baguettes in half and toasted them just slightly a 350 degree oven before laying the slices of fresh mozzarella on and placing back into the oven until the started to melt. The roasted mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes got added on top of the cheese and I spooned some pesto over the top, the topped with the arugula. Yummy!
Fresh Mozzarella, Sun Dried Tomato and Pesto Sandwich
- 4 pieces of baguette or ciabatta
- 1 package whole fresh mozzarella cut into slices
- 1/2 jar sun dried tomatoes in oil cut into ribbons
- 1/2 cup pesto homemade or store bought
- 1 package mushrooms cleaned and roasted
- 1 cup arugula
- Clean and slice mushrooms into thick slices. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet drizzled with oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 until golden.
- Cut bread in half and place on a baking sheet. Put into 350 degree oven for 5 minutes to warm and toast slightly.
- Add sliced mozzarella and return to the oven until melting slightly. Add the mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes. Spoon some pesto over the top and add the arugula before closing up the sandwich.