These oreo truffles are another holiday favorite at our house. As soon as I make a batch of these, they are gone. They are super simple, only 3 ingredients (4 if you use 2 kinds of chocolate). You do need a cookie scoop like the ones I recommend in my favorite baking tools post. You also need some parchment lined cookie sheets.
To make these you combine a bar of cream cheese that is at room temp with a package of oreos you have processed into crumbs in the food processor. Scoop the filling into balls, roll them between your palms to smooth them, and freeze for 1 hour. Then you melt some chocolate and dip them!
I don’t bother to temper chocolate for these, since they are stored in the fridge the chocolate stays solid without tempering. These are really good dipped in dark, milk or white chocolate. I usually do some white and some milk/dark. I prefer about a 3:1 ratio of milk to dark chocolate for coating because the dark chocolate helps the coating stay more smooth and takes down the sugar level a little bit. I also drizzle a contrasting chocolate over the top because it looks pretty.
If you make these for your family or for a party, be prepared to be asked what they are and if you can make them again. 🙂
- 1 package oreos (45 cookies) ground to crumbs
- 1 8 oz bar cream cheese room temp
- 12-16 oz chocolate of various types to your preference
- Process oreos in food processor into fine crumbs. Combine with cream cheese until fully mixed.
- Scoop balls of the mixture using a cookie scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place into freezer for 1 hour.
- Heat chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Do NOT overheat the chocolate or it will be ruined.
- Dip the balls in the chocolate using a fork, and push off onto another parchment lined sheet. After you are done dipping, drizzle the top with another chocolate.
- Place in the fridge to fully set up, and then store in an airtight container in the fridge. They will not last long.