I’m always up for any variant of grilled cheese, and I made some sourdough this weekend so decided to try this bacon and blue grilled cheese. This sandwich has both white cheddar and blue cheese, which sounded amazing to me.
The recipe I based this on suggested pepper bacon for these, and that sounds great, but I didn’t have that, so I used regular bacon and just added some cracked black pepper on top of the cheese. Red onion is another little extra in this sandwich, and I think I might want to start adding it all my grilled cheese sandwiches because it was so yummy!
You could use any kind of bread for this, it doesn’t have to be sourdough. I think a nice soft white bread like my sandwich bread would also work well. Overall this was possibly our favorite grilled cheese ever!
Bacon and Blue Grilled Cheese
- 2 sliced of bread
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- sliced red onion
- 4 oz white cheddar
- 2 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- dijon mustard
- butter for frying
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Heat a skillet over medium and add some butter.
- Place the bread in and lightly toast one side of each piece. Flip over and place bacon, both cheeses, pepper, red onion on one of the pieces. Spread a little mustard on the other side and then a bit of cheese so it all sticks together.
- Close the sandwich and toast with some more butter until both sides are nicely golden and cheese is melted. Cut in half and serve.