Karaage Chicken (Japanese Fried Chicken)
garlic and ginger marinated fried chicken
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs or breasts I prefer chicken breast for this
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup potato or corn starch I use potato
- 5 garlic cloves smashed but not chopped
- 1 6 inch piece fresh ginger sliced into 1/3 inch pieces
- oil for frying
- salt for seasoning
- lemon wedges, mayo, togarashi
About 4-6 hours before you plan to cook the chicken, cut it into bite sized pieces and marinate it in the soy, garlic and ginger.
Heat oil to 350.
Combine the flour and cornstarch or potato starch in a large bowl and whisk.
Drop the chicken pieces a few at a time into the flour mix and then into the hot oil.
Fry until golden brown and the oil quiets down. Use a instant read thermometer to verify the chicken is cooked through if you aren't sure.
Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve with the lemon, mayo and togarashi.