Strawberry shortcake cookies? Chopped up cookies inside another cookie? Yes, please! Cookies are one of my favorite things to bake and I would probably bake cookies daily if it wasn’t unhealthy to do that. There is such a low time investment in making homemade cookies, but the results are soooo yummy. A warm cookie fresh out of the oven is one of the best things you can eat, in my opinion.
These cookies are based on the strawberry shortcake ice cream bars you usually get in the ice cream freezer at a gas station or a theme park. They have tons of strawberry flavor plus golden oreo chunks and white chocolate chips. I have a great ice cream cake recipe based on those ice cream bars too. I will share with you later.
With pretty much anything strawberry flavored that I bake, I make with freeze dried strawberry powder. It packs so much strawberry flavor, which can be so hit or miss with grocery store strawberries. Instead of buying the tiny packs of freeze dried strawberries and grinding them up, I just buy this already ground powder from amazon. One bag goes a long way and it saves a lot of time. If you’d like to try it you can get some here.
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter room temp
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 golden oreos broken up
- 40 grams strawberry powder
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp pureed fresh or frozen strawberries options – these are for the colorful red flecks, not taste
- Preheat oven to 375. Whisk the flours, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. If your butter is still kind of cold, just whip it for a while until it warms up, or if you have a metal bowl and a kitchen torch you can warm it up that way, which I do often.
- Add both sugars and the vanilla and keep whipping until it is light and fluffy again.
- Add the egg and yolk and blend until well combined, scraping down the bowl.
- Put the mixer on low and add the dry ingredients and once they are starting to blend, add in the cookies and white chocolate chips, along with the strawberry puree if adding. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough. You can use whatever size you like, just adjust the baking time accordingly. Use clean, slightly damp hands to shape into round balls and bake for 7-8 minutes depending on your oven and the size of the cookies. The tops should be puffed up and cracking slightly but they should still look a little under done inside the cracks. Overbaked cookies are the worst, so go on the side of under baked for the first batch and let them cool before baking another try to see if they need more or less time.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
*note – as an Amazon Affiliate, I receive a small portion of any sales made through links on this site.
5 thoughts on “Strawberry Shortcake Cookies”
Your site is so nice and user friendly
Thank you 🙂