Do you all have a favorite salad? I love salad and have tons of salad recipes I make repeatedly, but I’m always looking for a new one. If you have a great one you are willing to share, message me! Caesar is one of my favorites. Nutritionally it isn’t a powerhouse, but flavor wise it really is. It pairs so nicely with so many main dishes too. Caesar salad was the first salad my kids would actually eat too when they were little so bonus points for that. This Caesar salad with homemade dressing and croutons is easy to make and is something most people will like.
You can buy good Caesar dressing at the store, and decent croutons too, so if you want to make this super quickly you can sub those. Homemade croutons are almost a different food compared to store bought croutons. They are SO good. The only take 15 minutes to make, so I think it is worth doing. Whenever I make them for salad, my kids ask if I can make them again sometime just as a snack. 🙂 I use either my buttermilk sandwich bread or my sourdough bread to make them, but you can use store bought bread just as easily. Just be sure to test one when you think they are done. I under baked mine today, and they are not nearly as good when not fully crunchy.
This is an eggless dressing that uses mayo and sour cream. I think it tastes just as good as the traditional type where you blend oil with raw eggs to make the creamy base. Plus you don’t have to worry about using raw eggs if you are feeding people at higher risk of food borne illness. If you are a Caesar salad fan, try this recipe.
Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing and Croutons
- 4 slices sandwich bread or other bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 anchovy fillets minced or anchovy paste (optional)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 large head of romaine washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
For the dressing:
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and mix well. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. If the dressing is too thick you can thin it with a little water.
For the croutons:
- Heat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Cut the bread into 1×1 inch squares, no need to remove the crust. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Toss well.
- Place into the oven and bake about 15 minutes, checking and stirring at each 5 minute interval until the bread is well toasted and crispy but not burnt.
- Allow to cool before using.
- Toss the clean and dry romaine with enough dressing to coat it well. Top with the shredded parmesan and croutons. You can add shrimp or grilled chicken to make this a full meal.
One thought on “Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing and Croutons”