Ok, I know how bologna pie sounds. Trust me on this though, this dish is delicious! If you like bologna. If you don’t, I’m probably not going to convert you. Anyone else grow up eating bologna sandwiches? My most common packed lunches for school or camp were liverwurst or bologna sandwiches and I still love them both! Fried bologna is also amazing.
I use my favorite pie crust recipe for this. My post on this pie crust has the recipe and all the tips you need to make a super flaky and successful pie crust. This is a double crust pie, meaning it has both a top and bottom crust. I was fortunate to have some homemade bologna that my husband made in my freezer that I used for this. I’ve made it many times with store bought too though and it is great. I do recommend bologna from the deli counter for this vs the prepackaged stuff. Higher quality bologna makes this pie even tastier, although any works.
Bologna pie has a thick layer of bologna slices. I like to fry the bologna slices first before using in the pie, because the browning adds more flavor. The bologna is layered over a base of potatoes, carrots, garlic and peas that is cooked a bit first to make sure the potatoes are tender when the pie is finished. The filling is topped with a top crust, brushed with egg and baked for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden and flaky. Serve it with ketchup and it is one of the tastiest dinners!
- 1 recipe double crust pie crust made the day before and rested in fridge
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb thick sliced bologna fried until slightly browned
- 1 onion thin sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 2 carrots peeled and thin sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg for egg wash
- ketchup for serving
- Heat oven to 425 and place rack in the middle.
- Roll out the bottom crust and put into your pie plate and put back into the fridge to chill while you make the filling. Also roll out the top circle and place back in the fridge on a sheet pan so it is ready to go.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil until hot. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes until they are browning. Add the water and cover and cook until the potatoes are just tender. About 10-15 minutes. Stir in the peas and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Allow to cool for 30 min.
- Fry the bologna slices and allow to cool for 30 min as well.
- Spoon the vegetables into the chilled pie crust and spread evenly. Top with the bologna. Cover with top crust and crimp as desired. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp water and brush crust with egg wash.
- Bake until top and bottom crust are nice and brown and crisp. About 40-50 minutes. Cover the edges with foil if they are getting too browned. Let rest for 10 minutes, then cut and serve with ketchup. Yum!