I had never had or heard of pistachio blossoms before trying this recipe, but I will definitely be making these again. I pretty much wanted to eat all of them. This recipe is super fast and easy since it uses boxed cake and pudding mix.
I think I had mentioned before that although I love to bake from scratch, we also really love boxed cake with tub frosting. It is so yummy! I think you could make these same little cakes with any flavor of instant pudding and it would be tasty. I’d like to try some kind of fruit flavor.
These are baked in a mini muffin tin. As I have said before, I love mine and you can find a link here if you want to get one. They are glazed with a simple vanilla and almond powdered sugar glaze. These are pretty sweet, but they are small so it is kind of the perfect amount of sweetness. Hope you enjoy.
For the cakes:
- 1 16.25oz box white cake mix
- 1 3.4oz box instant pistachio pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 drops green food coloring optional
For the glaze:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup water give or take
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Heat the oven to 350 and spray a mini muffin pan with baker's joy or grease and flour it well.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Using a cookie scoop fill each well about 1/2 way full for small pretty cakes or 3/4 full if you are lazy like I was and don't want to bake more than 1 pan of these. They won't look quite as nice, but they taste the same. 🙂
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until the center is just set so a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove to a cooling rack and let them cool until just slightly warm. Combine the glaze ingredients and adjust the water so that the glaze is liquid enough to allow dipping of the cakes, but not so watery that it just soaks them.
- Dip each cake fully in the glaze and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow the glaze to set up fully then serve!
- These keep well in the freezer if you manage to have any leftover.