In my post on Detroit pizza, I had previously mentioned our love of pretty much all pizza. This tortilla pizza from Serious Eats is just about as opposite as you can get from that recipe. I love this one too though. It is really quick to make (especially if you have some homemade pizza sauce in your freezer, or you used jarred sauce). I’m talking 10 minutes quick. This is one of my go to recipes when I don’t have a lot of time.
To make tortilla pizza, you get a cast iron skillet (or other oven safe pan that can get really hot) super hot with a bit of oil. The tortilla crisps up wonderfully while you are adding the toppings to it in the pan. It then goes into the oven on broil to get the top nice and browned up. If it isn’t crispy enough when the top is ready, you just throw it back onto the stove and crisp up the bottom more. You end up with a wood fired pizza type cracker crust that is addicting.
As with any pizza, you can completely adjust the toppings to your liking. I like some chopped onion and pepper, pepperoni, mozzarella, parmesan, and sometimes some bacon or some pickled jalapenos. Anything that won’t cook fully in a few minutes of broiling should be cooked first (uncooked sausage for example).
Since the crust is so thin on this pizza, it doesn’t leave you feeling bogged down after eating it. This is a great dish to serve with a salad or vegetable side dish. Check out some of my sides here. This recipe makes 1 pizza but you can easily scale it up and make a bunch since they are so quick to cook. I usually make about 1 per person because the crust is so thin and I have 3 teens. 🙂
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large burrito size tortilla
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 oz grated parmesan
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 oz pepperoni
- basil leaves torn
- any other toppings you like
- Adjust your oven rack 6-8 inches below the heating element. Turn the broiler to high.
- Heat oil in a cast iron pan until it shimmers and then turn down to medium.
- Place the tortilla in the skillet and add the sauce, mozzarella, half the parm and the toppings. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place under the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted and browned. About 2-4 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the rest of the parm. Use a butter knife to gently release the pizza from the side and check if the bottom is crispy enough. If not, move back to the stove top and heat over medium until the bottom is fully crisp. Make sure to use oven mitts!
- Cut into slices and serve.
2 thoughts on “Tortilla Pizza”
This looks really good and looks easy!! 😋😊
It’s so fast and easy but really yummy!