This recipe is a variation on my quick and easy Skillet Tortilla Pizza, but with a Mexican twist. Chorizo and potato makes an excellent filling for tacos or tortas, so why not on a pizza? This combination is soooo tasty and these are super fast to make.
Chorizo is best when you cook it down nice and crispy, which helps render out some of the fat. Use real Mexican chorizo for this, not the sausages grocery stores sometimes pass off as chorizo. You could also use Spanish style chorizo, which is a dried salami like version if you prefer that. I diced my potatoes and cooked them in a skillet with a little oil over medium heat until the softened a bit, then added the chorizo to cook along with them, to impart some nice chorizo flavor to the potatoes too.
I used a mix of tomato paste and salsa for the sauce here. I used a roasted chipotle salsa, but you could use any you like. If your salsa is more watery with chunks, I’d recommend draining off some of the water before mixing with tomato paste. I drizzled the top of the pizza with some thinned out sour cream and topped with cilantro and scallions for a fresh note. This was yummy and will definitely show up again in our dinner rotation.
Chorizo and Potato Tortilla Pizza
- 2-3 burrito size tortillas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 lb yellow potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tube Mexican style chorizo
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese I used Monterey Jack and cheddar
- chopped cilantro
- chopped scallions
- sour cream to drizzle thinned with water
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the potatoes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook the potatoes, stirring occasionally, until browning and turning slightly tender.
- Add the onion and chorizo and continue to cook, flipping the mass and browning the chorizo, until it is crispy and cooked down, and potatoes are tender – about 10 minutes. Set aside. Turn the oven broiler on.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, brush the pan with some oil. Place a tortilla in the pan and allow it to start browning on the bottom. Stir salsa and tomato paste together well and spoon a thin layer over the tortilla. Add the potato/chorizo mixture and top with shredded cheese. Allow to cook until you can lift the tortilla slightly and see that it is browned on the bottom and has crisped up a bit. Place skillet under the broiler for a few minutes (keep an eye on it) and allow the cheese to melt fully and brown up.
- Remove from the oven and place back on the burner to further crisp up the bottom if needed. You want crispy with a few blackened spots but not fully burnt bottom. Allow to cool slightly then drizzle with sour cream and top with herbs, then cut into slices.