Cake, and chocolate cake in particular is at the very top of my desserts list. There is a huge variety of cakes that can fall under the ‘chocolate cake’ label, but to to me this is the best chocolate cake. I’m talking just chocolate. You can add all kinds of different fillings to chocolate cake. Raspberry filling is amazing, as is this toasted marshmallow filling I make. This is just straight up chocolate cake with chocolate frosting though and sometimes I like that the best.
This cake portion of this recipe starts with what was originally the perfectly perfect chocolate cake recipe from Hershey’s. It isn’t a typical cake recipe, and it gives the most tender cake with a dark chocolate flavor. Nothing is worse than tough or dry cake. Not worth eating! This recipe makes 2 9 inch rounds, which is perfect for stacking.
My favorite chocolate frosting uses melted chocolate, not cocoa powder, so it has such smooth, rich texture. It is really really good with some malt powder added for a chocolate malt frosting, but like I said, this is chocolate chocolate.
I like to use these round parchment circles in my cake pans. They make it so easy to get the cake out of the pan after it is done baking. I usually put one of these rounds in and then spray the pan with baker’s joy (unless it is an angel food cake, in which case do not spray your pan). Having some cake boards also makes it a lot easier to remove cake from pans and to cooling rack. I have these disposable ones and I wipe them down and reuse them.
If you love chocolate cake, or know someone who does, try this recipe. Everyone you know will thank you. 🙂
The Best Chocolate Cake
- 2 9 inch cake pans
- parchment rounds optional
- baker's joy or equivalent pan spray
For the cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup hot coffee
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz melted chocolate cooled to room temp
- 1/4 cup heavy cream room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
For the cake:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 9 inch cake pans with parchment circles and spray with baker's joy or oil spray and flour them. If you don't have parchment, just grease and flour.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; Whisk until well mixed. Stir in hot coffee. (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Put the butter in a stand mixer with paddle and whip until well mixed. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Allow to mix again until mixed and fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate and cream and mix again until smooth and combined.
- Frost the cooled cake.
One thought on “The Best Chocolate Cake”