Muddy Buddies (also known as puppy chow, I guess because it looks like it?) is a super easy but amazingly tasty treat made of rice cereal, butter, peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla and powdered sugar. There are a ton of variations on the original and I’ve loved any of them I’ve had, but the chocolate/peanut butter combo just can’t be beat for me.
If you follow me, you know I made homemade garlic parmesan chex mix a while ago. I had a ton of rice chex left after making that, so the logical thing to do was to make muddy buddies. 🙂
Muddy buddies are super easy to make. Butter, peanut butter and chocolate are melted together in the microwave and some vanilla is added in. This mixture is poured over the cereal and mixed (it is messy but the best way to mix this is using your hands). The mixture is kind of stiff so trying to mix with a spoon just crushes the cereal too much. If you keep gently tossing with your hands eventually it will get evenly mixed. Powdered sugar goes on and again mix and toss with your clean hands. It is done!
Try not to eat it all in one night. 🙂
- 9 cups rice chex cereal
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter not the natural kind
- 1 cup chocolate chips you can use milk or semi sweet
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Melt the butter, chocolate and peanut butter in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until melted.
- Add the vanilla and stir. Pour over the cereal in a large bowl and toss with your hands.
- Add powdered sugar and toss again. Allow to cool and store in an air tight container.