Chex mix is one of my favorite store snack foods. Why make it at home when you can just buy it? A few reasons. First, it’s fun. 🙂 Second, your kids will think it’s neat. Third, you can put whatever you want in it and flavor it however you like. This recipe is really only semi-homemade since it still uses all the store bought pretzels and crackers. That makes it super quick and easy.
I decided to make this using the garlic and parm wing dust we have from when my husband made wings. I love how many uses it has. I also made homemade potato chips seasoned with it. There are ton of flavors too. I’d like to try a few others in the future. One bag is a ton of dust though, so they last a while.
For this mix I used cheez-its, goldfish crackers, pretzel twists, and rice chex. You could use any kind of snack cracker or cereal in it. In addition to the wing dust, the cereal is coated in butter, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and pepper. If you didn’t have wing dust, you could still make this and just add in some garlic powder and a sprinkling of grated parm and salt. The wing dust is salty so I didn’t add any additional salt here.
Homemade Garlic Parmesan Chex Mix
- 3 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups goldfish crackers whatever flavor you like
- 2 cups cheez-its
- 8 tbsp melted butter unsalted
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tbsp garlic parm wing dust to taste – add less to start and taste it, add more if needed
- ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 300 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Melt the butter and mix it with the onion powder, worcestershire, and pepper.
- In a large bowl mix all the crackers and cereal and toss. Drizzle over the butter mixture and mix well until it is all well coated.
- Spread on the baking sheet and put into the oven for 25 minutes, stirring it around a few times. After 15 minutes, remove the tray, sprinkle the wing dust over and toss the mixture. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes more. Adding the wing dust later prevents some of the ingredients in it from getting overly browned in the oven.
- Cool on the tray completely and seal in a plastic ziploc for storing.
One thought on “Homemade Garlic Parmesan Chex Mix”