I have been making these marinated sirloin kebabs for years, but I tend to make them only for camping trips. They are great make ahead option because you can marinate and skewer the meat and veggies ahead of time and just grill when ready. We haven’t had a chance to go camping since the spring, so they are no longer a camping only food.
These kebabs have an interesting marinade. I don’t recall where this recipe originally came from, but I have never seen a kebab recipe where you put lemon lime soda in the marinade other than this one. I am honestly not sure if the soda does anything but add some sugar? But these taste great, so I’m not messing with it. Aside from the soda, the marinade also contains soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, season salt, garlic pepper seasoning (I just use more garlic powder + black pepper),
I use sirloin steak for these, but pretty much any steak you want to use should work ok. I make them as the original recipe suggests with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and pineapple on skewers with the meat, but you could easily sub any other vegetables. You could also leave the soda and sugar out for a less sweet option. They don’t end up tasting all that sweet even with those in though. Grilled pineapple is AMAZING though so if you haven’t tried that, you should. It gets a little bit caramelized and charred which helps balance the sweetness somehow. It is delicious!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz sprite or other lemon lime soda
- 2 lbs beef sirloin steak cut into 1 inch cubes
- green bell pepper chunks
- cherry tomatoes
- pineapple chunks
- Combine the marinade ingredients and place the cut up steak into the marinade for at least a few hours or overnight.
- Thread the meat and veggies onto skewers, alternating all the ingredients so each skewer has some of each.
- Heat your grill and brush with oil. Add the kebabs and cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies have some char and the steak is cooked medium. Adjust the time to cook the meat to your desired doneness.