I saw this recipe on Kathleen Ashmore’s site and decided to give it a try. I have a lemon loaf recipe I have made a few times, but I wanted to see if this healthier version would still be satisfying.
This recipe using mostly reduced fat yogurt for the moisture and only has 1/4 cup of oil, which is quite a bit less than a typical pound cake type recipe. The recipe was meant to be gluten free and use gluten free flour, but I used regular flour instead. I also used some true lemon in the glaze to bump up the lemon flavor.
Overall we liked this cake and thought it smelled great and had great lemon flavor. The texture wasn’t quite as soft as the usual full fat cake, and we liked it best right after it came out of the oven and mostly cooled down. The texture the second day was a little more stiff (although I still ate it :)). If you are looking for a heathy lemon cake that you can eat without feeling too bad about your health, give this one a try.
Healthier Glazed Lemon Loaf
For the cake:
- 2 cups gluten free or AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt full or reduced fat
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- lemon juice or water and true lemon enough to make a pourable glaze
- Heat the oven to 350. Line a 8×4 loaf pan with parchment and spray with baker's joy.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for 30 seconds. Add the vanilla, oil, yogurt, zest and juice and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined and the flour is mixed in. Pour batter into the pan and make a 1/2 inch deep slash down the center of the cake.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Move to a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan to fully cool.
- Mix the glaze to a thick, pourable consistency and cover the cake with it. Slice and serve.