I made this sparkling blueberry lemonade for the 4th yesterday and it was really easy and delicious. I loved that it was tart and not overly sweet and the sparkling water gave it a nice twist.
This recipe starts with some blueberry simple syrup, made by mixing blueberries (fresh or frozen), sugar and water with some lemon zest. This mixture is cooked until the blueberries burst and break down a bit, then strained to remove the fruit. The resulting blueberry syrup is sweet and tart and bright.
Mixing lemon juice with the sweet blueberry syrup and some sparkling water (I used lemon) makes a lightly sweet, fresh and fruity drink. It was great a for a hot day and it made a pitcher full that served all 5 of us a full glass.
Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries I used frozen
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 3 cups sparkling water I used lemon
- To make the syrup, mix the sugar, water, zest and blueberries in a sauce pan and heat over high until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or so until the blueberries have broken down some. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and cool.
- In a large pitcher, add the lemon juice, syrup, sparking water and ice and stir. Serve in glasses with a straw.