Rice Krispie treats are SO easy and so addicting and there are about a million variations out there online. Key lime pie is one of my favorite pies, and I will happily make anything key lime flavored. America’s test kitchen did a bunch of tests years ago about whether you could taste a difference in key lime pie using regular Persian limes vs key limes and thankfully the answer was no. So you don’t need key limes, you can just use regular limes. 🙂
This is a standard rice krispie treat recipe with the addition of lime juice and zest (I just used True Lime instead), crushed up graham crackers and white chocolate chips. These only took a few minutes to make, and they really did have a good approximation of key lime pie flavor. I think the brown butter variation is still my favorite, but we aren’t going to have trouble finishing these off.
Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 6 packets True lime or juice and zest of one lime
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup roughly crushed graham crackers
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the cereal, graham crackers and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Grease or line with parchment and 9×13 pan. Heat the butter, marshmallows, true lime or lime juice and zest in a sauce pan over medium until melted and combined, stirring constantly. Add the vanilla.
- Scrape this mixture into the bowl with the cereal and quickly mix well. Press into the 9×13 pan, using a greased hand to flatten it out. Allow to cool fully and cut into squares.