This is a quick and easy dinner that really satisfies that craving for something cheesy and delicious. You can cook the chicken ahead of time and store in the fridge or freezer if you are short on time. Or you could use rotisserie chicken and just add some Mexican spices to it to save time. I like to top these with some pico de gallo or salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. You can serve with Spanish rice, refried beans, or a vegetable on the side. I served with pan fried zucchini today.
- Mexican pulled chicken (recipe below)
- burrito sized tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- green chile garlic sour cream sauce (recipe below)
- pico de gallo or salsa
- sour cream
- guacamole (I will share my personal guac recipe soon)
- hot sauce
Drain any excess liquid from the cooked chicken. Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with oil or cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup chicken onto each burrito tortilla, top with some cheese and roll up into a burrito. Place onto the prepared sheet and brush with oil or spray with cooking spray. Cook for about 10 minutes, flip and cook the other side about 10 minutes until golden and crisp. If not crisp enough, turn to broil and broil briefly (watch the whole time, easy to burn them!) until crispy.
Remove from the oven, place on plates and top with some of the delicious cheesy sauce. Serve with toppings and hot sauce on the side.
- 1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of salsa (mild or hot depending on your preference)
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder (I prefer Mexican chili powder but any will work)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle or ancho chili powder if you have it
Place all ingredients into a small sauce pan with a lid. Bring to a boil and reduce to low, cover partially and simmer until the chicken is fully tender and shred it and mix it in with the sauce. I usually cook mine about 45 minutes because I like the chicken to be really tender and I like the sauce to reduce.
Green chile garlic sour cream cheese sauce:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream or light sour cream
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Melt butter and oil in sauce pan over medium. Add flour and cook for a few minutes until browning. Whisk in the chicken broth slowly to prevent lumps. Add the spices and garlic and cook, stirring until it thickens. Remove from the heat and add the chiles, sour cream and cheese. Season with extra salt and hot sauce if you like.
This recipe was adapted from the one on Carlsbad Cravings https://carlsbadcravings.com/smothered-baked-chicken-burritos-recipe/