This is a simple, quick dinner but the little touches make it extra tasty. Fried potatoes and eggs with naan starts with cooking the potatoes until slightly tender, mashing them and bit, and then continuing to fry them. The mashed bits get extra crispy and delicious.
The potatoes are topped with a dash of vinegar, fried eggs, red onion, mint, cilantro and sumac which adds a ton of flavor. Once you break the egg yolk and scoop it all up on some buttered naan.. Yum! This is great with some hot sauce too.
I sometimes make my own naan, but if you are looking for quicker meal like I was today, you can use frozen naan. I love Trader Joe’s garlic naan, but we live too far from TJs so I used Wegmans frozen naan today. This meal is cheap, quick and easy which we definitely all need sometimes. 🙂
I will be taking a 2 week break from cooking to travel and eat with my family. I might post some pictures of what we are eating since I hope it will be varied and delectable! Back in 2 weeks with more tasty recipes. 🙂
Fried Potatoes and Eggs with Naan
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 5 eggs or more
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 tsp ground sumac
- 5 pieces naan or pita
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Stir together the onion, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and let sit.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium high. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring once or twice, until well browned. Reduce heat a bit and keep cooking, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are tender.
- Gently press on the potato pieces to mash them up a bit and add 2 more tbsp oil to the pan and sprinkle on some salt and pepper and 2 tsp sumac. You want the potatoes still pretty chunky, don't totally mash them.
- Keep frying until they are nicely golden and crisp. Sprinkle them with a bit of white wine or sherry vinegar. Leave the pan off but on the heat while you fry the eggs in another pan.
- Fry the naan in some butter to warm it up. Spread the crispy potatoes on the naan and sprinkle with the cilantro and mint and a bit more sumac and salt. Top with fried egg and the onions. Serve with hot sauce.