I was looking for a drink that I could make a big batch of when our friends came over, and apple sangria seemed like the perfect make ahead drink for a warm fall evening. We’ve had a great stretch of warm fall weather this past week and I love it.
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make it a day ahead and keep in the fridge which just makes the flavor better. You can also adapt to use what you’ve got around. You can add pears or plums to the mix for some extra fruit flavor. You can use apple cider instead of sparkling cider. You can even sub vodka or another liquor for the bourbon if you like.
I had some spiced bourbon from Mystic Farms in Durham which was perfect for this. I also subbed some plum syrup I had for the honey which tasted great in this. If you are going to make ahead like I did, I suggest removing the cinnamon sticks after a few hours because the cinnamon can get overpowering if you leave it overnight.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-3 apples (and plums/pears if you like) chopped
- 1 bottle pinot grigio
- 3 cups sparkling cider or regular apple cider
- 1 cup sparkling water if you use apple cider (optional)
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup or I used plum syrup
- Combine all the ingredients except the sparkling cider or water. Place in fridge overnight. Add the sparkling cider right before serving.