This recipe is from Kathleen Ashmore. I love her salad recipes! They have so many great ingredients and interesting dressings. We had this chopped salad with our spinach and artichoke galette last week, but it kept well in my fridge for a few days after and I ate it for lunch every day.
The base of this salad is shredded cabbage, which helps it keep for a while even with dressing on it. There is romaine too, and I was worried the romaine would be too soggy after a day with dressing, but it held up pretty well. It also has chopped red onion, tomatoes, green olives, chickpeas and fresh mozzarella. I think some shredded parm would have also been good in it.
The dressing is one I have never had before and I really liked it and will use it again. It is a combo of roasted red peppers, balsamic, honey, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. I used the jarred roasted red peppers from the grocery store and it tasted great!
This dish totally works as a main dish due to the chick peas and mozzarella chunks, but also makes a good side or a dish to bring to a bbq. 🙂
Chopped Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
For the salad:
- 2 romaine hearts chopped
- 1/2 bag coleslaw mix or about 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella diced
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
For the dressing:
- 1 12oz jar roasted red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over and mix to distribute. Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep for 2 days dressed, stored in an airtight container in the fridge.