When I was growing up in Indiana, we had a bunch of rhubarb growing right outside our house. I need to try planting some here in North Carolina and see if it can grow. I love rhubarb but have a really hard time finding it here in the south for some reason. There is a very short window where one or two stores will have it but it is really hit or miss.
This cocktail can be made using rhubarb syrup you make by boiling rhubarb with sugar and water, or you can skip that step and make it with rhubarb gin like I did. You can use several different bases for this drink. I used gin but you could use tequila or vodka too. I had some orange syrup in the fridge from making candied orange peel, so I used that instead of rhubarb syrup since rhubarb and orange sounded tasty.
Sours typically use egg white to add foam to the drink. I personally don’t love the taste of raw egg, so I used this cocktail foamer you can buy on amazon instead.
- 1 1/2 oz rhubarb gin or vodka or tequila
- 1 oz rhubarb syrup I used orange
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 egg white or 2-3 dashes of foamer
- Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker and shake without ice for 15-20 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again. Strain into a coupe glass.