Cheddar bacon potato soup is based on a recipe I saw on Olive and Mango. I adore cheese, so pretty much any time you put cheddar in a title I’m going to check it out. I love the combination of the cheddar, potato, garlic and smoky bacon.
This is not a light soup, so if that is what you are looking for, check out some of my other soup recipes like Italian pesto noodle soup or ginger garlic noodle soup. If you are looking for a creamy, salty, delicious and rich soup, this is it. As with a lot of soup this recipe starts with onion, carrot, celery and garlic, plus the addition of potato. It uses white wine as well as broth and cream (you can use half and half or milk to make this lighter).
For the cheddar, use good aged cheddar for this if you want the soup to have great flavor. This is not the time to use the store brand generic cheddar cheese. This soup comes together fairly quickly, so it was a good weeknight dinner choice.
I served this with a light salad, since it a pretty rich dish. It would be awesome with some fresh bread like my homemade baguettes, sourdough, or pretzels.
Cheddar Bacon Potato Soup
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream or milk of your choice
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- In a large soup pot, cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels, leaving 1-2 tbsp of the bacon fat in the pan. Add the butter and the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Add the spices. Cook over medium until softened.
- Add the wine and boil until it is mostly evaporated.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir, cooking for a minute. Slowly add the broth while whisking to prevent lumps.
- Add the potatoes and cook at a simmer until they are tender. About 20 minutes.
- Add the cream and then the cheese and slowly stir until it comes together.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Be careful with the salt since you will top it with bacon. If the soup is too thick add a little water or broth. Serve in bowls topped with reserved bacon.
One thought on “Cheddar Bacon Potato Soup”