My grandma used to watch my cousins and I lot in the summers when I was a kid, and she often made us grinders for lunch and I love them! This recipe is apparently a viral tik tok recipe, although I saw it on pinterest. The pictures looked delicious so I gave it a try on these hoagie rolls.
This grinder has the typical salami, provolone and pepperoni but it also has turkey and grated parmesan and then it is topped off with a grinder salad made of shredded iceberg, red onion, banana peppers dressed in red wine vinegar and spices. I always sprinkle salt and pepper onto my grinder too before eating.
I loved the flavors and freshness of the grinder salad on this sandwich. The recipe suggested broiling the meat/cheese on the bread to melt it a bit but I like cold grinders with the cheese not melted so I skipped this step. If you prefer a warm grinder, I’m sure it is tasty that way too.
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced pickled banana peppers
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
For the sandwich:
- 4 hoagie or sandwich rolls
- 1/2 lb sliced salami whatever kind you like
- 1/2 lb pepperoni sliced
- 1/2 lb turkey I used smoked
- 1/2 lb sliced provolone or mozzarella cheese or other sliced cheese
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Cut the rolls and add the meat and cheese. If you want to broil it, do so before adding the salad.
- Add the tomato, salad, and grated parm. Serve with chips.