Chicken rollatini is a delicious dish made of thinly sliced chicken breasts filled with a spinach cheese mixture, rolled, dipped in bread crumbs and baked, then topped with sauce and cheese and baked some more.
The filling for the chicken is made by mixing ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, spinach and garlic with some seasonings. These rolls were quite easy to make. They are placed seam side down in a greased baking dish and they hold their shape very easily.
I served this dish with some spaghetti to use up the extra sauce and some balsamic glazed broccolini. Overall this dish was easy to make, and it seems fancier than it actually is. We all really enjoyed it and I would make it again.
Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana
- 8 thin cut chicken cutlets
- 1/2 cup italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 eggs whisked
- 5 oz frozen spinach defrosted and squeezed of extra moisture
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 6 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
- 6 oz mozzarella shredded
- oil cooking spray
- 1 jar your favorite pasta sauce
- spaghetti or other pasta
- extra parm for topping
- Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, squeezed spinach, parmesan, about 1/4 cup of the mozzarella, 2 tbsp of whisked egg, the garlic powder and onion powder and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spray a baking dish with oil spray. In a shallow bowl, place the breadcrumbs. Lay one chicken cutlet down on a cutting board or flat surface and spoon about 2 tbsp of the spinach mixture on the chicken. Roll up and carefully dip into the beaten egg and then the bread crumbs. Place seam side down in the baking dish and repeat until you use up all your ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 450. Spray the tops of the chicken with some oil spray and bake for 25-30 minutes. Pour the sauce around the chicken and top it all with the shredded mozzarella. Bake for 10 more minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is browning.
- Serve with pasta or salad and more parmesan.