As I have mentioned before, I love pretty much anything with blue cheese. When I saw this recipe for coleslaw with celery, apple and blue cheese, I really wanted to try it out. This combination sounded great. I also liked that fact that this recipe didn’t use mayo, since sometimes coleslaw can be so mayo heavy.
I used a honeycrisp apple for this and they are quite sweet, so I reduced the sugar in the recipe (you could also just leave it out if you don’t like sweet coleslaw). I also reduced the amount of oil from the original as we are trying to low our cholesterol a bit.
I used bagged coleslaw mix from the grocery for the base, so this recipe only took a couple minutes to put together. I recommend making it about 30 minutes ahead or longer and letting sit in the fridge before serving, because this helps the cabbage break down a little and gives more dressing, making it easier to eat. I served this as a side with some pork chops, and they went great together. You could use it anywhere you’d use normal coleslaw.
Celery, Apple and Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 4 ribs celery sliced
- 4 green onions green and white parts, sliced
- 1 apple julienned
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp oil I used garlic olive oil (original recipe was 1/2 cup but that seemed like way too much)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar optional, I left it out
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, celery seed, or vinegar as desired. Let sit in the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.