I could probably eat this meal for dinner every night for weeks and not get tired of it. It has some of my favorite things….garlicky mushrooms, sourdough toast, pesto sauce….
Ever since I used whipped ricotta in this sausage and tomato pasta recipe, I have been wanting to use it again. Using it as a creamy element on these mushroom toasts seemed perfect. I whipped it with a bit of salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic and grated parm and used it to keep the mushrooms in place on the toast.
Portabella and baby bella mushrooms made up the mushroom portion of the dish. I stir fried them until browned with lots of sliced garlic, salt, and pepper. I topped them with some pesto sauce and shredded parmesan.
This meal was all the good things…. crunchy, creamy, bright, earthy and full of garlic flavor. Will definitely be making this again soon.
Garlic Mushroom Toasts with Whipped Ricotta and Pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 4 slices sourdough or other sturdy bread more if they are small slices, lightly toasted
- 2-3 packages of mushrooms, depending on the size I used portobello and baby bella mixed. You need enough mushrooms for 4 people if making this recipe and remember they do cook down. Cleaned and sliced.
- 8 cloves garlic thinly sliced or minced
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp grated parm
- salt and pepper
- shredded parm for topping
- pesto for topping
- Lightly toast the sourdough toast. Clean and slice all the mushrooms and thinly slice the garlic. Heat oil to very hot over high heat in a skillet and add the mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow them to brown on one side before stirring. Stir occasionally and keep the heat on high so that all moisture evaporates and they get nice and browned. Add the garlic and reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for another minute.
- Whip the ricotta with a little minced garlic, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper, and grated parm using a hand held immersion blender or a small blender cup.
- Spread the ricotta on the toasted bread, top with mushrooms, drizzle with pesto and top with shredded parmesan and serve.