These crispy mini tacos are stuffed with refried beans, cheese and potatoes, pan fried and then served with a delicious homemade Mexican ranch dip. I loved these for a meatless dinner that didn’t take all that much time to make. I used cooked, cubed potatoes in them for more texture, but you can also use leftover mashed potatoes.
I loved the simplicity of these, but if I made them again I think I would add some lightly cooked onion and pepper to the filling. The ranch dip is a mix of sour cream and spices with a dash of hot sauce. We ate these with the Mexican Ranch as well as Valentina hot sauce, which is a favorite of ours because it has great flavor and isn’t insanely spicy so you can eat a lot. Link to buy the sauce here. I served these with some roasted carrots that we also dipped in the ranch. Yum!
Crispy Bean and Potato Mini Tacos with Mexican Ranch
For the tacos:
- 4 yukon gold potatoes peeled, cut into 1/2 chunks and cooked until tender
- 1 can refried beans seasoned with salt, onion and garlic powder
- shredded cheese I used Mexican blend
- mini street taco tortillas
- ranch dip
- hot sauce
- oil for frying
For the Mexican Ranch:
- 1 cup sour cream I used light
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- hot sauce to taste
- Cook potato chunks until tender and drain well. Season refried beans and mix well.
- Heat a few tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Lay out the mini tortillas and spoon a thin layer of beans over them. Add some potato chunks and some cheese and fold in half. Repeat with all the tortillas.
- When the oil is hot, add a few tacos to the pan and fry until golden brown on one side. Flip and brown the other side. Repeat with the other tacos until they are all cooked and serve immediately.
- Mix the ranch ingredients together in a bowl. Serve the tacos with ranch and hot sauce.