Tacos are probably my husband’s favorite food. We love any and all kinds of tacos. Our favorite though are the Mexican tacos you get from food trucks and taquerias. They are so simple but so delicious.
I used flank steak for these. You could also use skirt steak if you can find that. The key to tender steak for tacos is to marinate it ahead of time, and then to cook it in a super hot pan quickly, leaving it about medium. If you cook it to well done, it will be tough. I marinated the steak for about 4 hours, but you could do overnight as well. I used a wok to cook mine, but you can also use a cast iron pan or skillet.
Mexican style tacos are usually served with salsa and some cilantro/onion and that is all. You won’t miss the cheese/sour cream etc though. These tacos pack some flavor. We used bottled salsa verde. I love the Herdez taqueria style salsa verde. There is a link to it in my Favorite Item Links. I made corn tortillas because I’m still using up my big bag of masa, but you can just as easily use store bought ones.
Mexican Steak Tacos
For the steak:
- 1 1/2 lbs flank or skirt steak cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp chili powder I used ancho and chipotle
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- corn tortillas
- chopped onion and cilantro mixed with a little salt and lime juice
- salsa of your choice Ideally taqueria style red or green salsa
- Combine the marinade ingredients (reserving 1 tbsp oil for cooking) and add the steak pieces. Mix well and marinate 4 hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat a tbsp or 2 of oil to smoking over high heat and add the steak. Do not move for 1-2 minutes until well browned, stir and repeat. Only cook long enough to brown the outside and cook the steak to medium. Do not overcook.
- Chop the onion and cilantro and mix with a little salt and lime juice.
- Serve steak with tortillas, onion/cilantro, and salsa.