These Asian turkey lettuce wraps are a quick, easy and delicious weeknight meal. These are super good for you, and you can customize the veggies and sauce to your tastes.
I used ground turkey breast for these, but you can also use ground turkey or chicken or pork. The filling consists of the meat, garlic, ginger, onion, dried shitake mushroom and red pepper along with scallion and cilantro added at the end. You could add additional veggies like bok choy, shredded carrot etc.
The sauce for these is made of oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil and white pepper. While eating you can drizzle on some hoisin, or for a spicy twist, use hoisin mixed with chili garlic sauce. I served in iceberg lettuce cups. You can also use green or red leaf or romaine or butter lettuce, or serve with rice.
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
For the turkey:
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 can water chestnuts chopped into large pieces
- 1/4 cup dried shitake mushrooms rehydrated and chopped or use fresh
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- washed lettuce leaves for serving
- 1/4 cup diced scallions
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce optional
- Place mushrooms in boiled water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Remove the stems and diced.
- Mix up the hoisin drizzle and set aside.
- Combine the soy sauces, oyster sauce, sesame oil, rice wine and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey and chop and stir it while cooking until it is mostly cooked through. Add the onion, pepper, garlic and ginger and continue cooking for a few minutes until turkey is fully cooked.
- Add the mixed up sauce ingredients and stir and continue cooking until the mixture is cohesive. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Transfer filling to a bowl and add the cilantro and scallions.
- Serve the mixture with lettuce leaves and hoisin sauce on the side for assembling wraps at the table.