I decided to try this recipe for Buffalo White Chicken Chili from Half Baked Harvest because I’ve never had white chicken chili with buffalo sauce and it sounded tasty. This is a fairly rich dish as it has cream cheese (and also calls for cheddar, which I left out) in the chili. I lightened it up a bit from the original recipe and also changed the spice profile a little bit.
Overall this was a pretty fast and tasty dinner to make. For chili, cooking a little longer makes everything come together a bit more, so I cooked a little longer than was called for, but you could totally get by with what the recipe states.
I used less hot sauce than called for, add a diced jalapeno, added some ancho and chipotle chili powder, as well as garlic and onion powder and an extra can of beans. I did love the salsa verde in this dish and it really helped to cut the richness some.
Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2-2 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 2 poblano peppers stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz room temp cream cheese
- 2 cans white beans
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- shredded cheese, cilantro and pickled jalapenos for serving
- Heat the oil in the large stock pot over medium high heat. Add the cubed chicken and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until browned. Add the onion, garlic, poblano and jalapeno along with the dried spices. Cook, stirring occasionally over medium high until the vegetables have started to color a little bit.
- Add in the stock, the two sauces and the beans. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the chili melds together. Stir in the cream cheese and allow to simmer another 10 minutes or so. Ladle into bowls and serve with the cheese, cilantro and jalapenos on the side.