This soup is another quick and easy meal that is tasty, nutritious and satisfying to eat. The broth is made from chicken broth and fire roasted tomatoes for a slightly sweet, slightly smoky tomato flavor. The addition of kielbasa add another level of smokiness that goes great with the tomato. You could also use chicken or leave out the meat and just use tortellini for a vegetarian option.
I used cheese tortellini here but you could use any kind you like. You can also adjust the creaminess of this by adding no cream or less cream. I only used a few tbsp of light cream. This soup has onions, garlic, carrots and celery and I also added some fresh spinach, which I loved. Top with some grated parm and you have a delicious and healthy dinner in 30 minutes.
Fire Roasted Tomato Soup with Kielbasa and Tortellini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 1 tsp dried italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 package kielbasa sliced into rounds – I used turkey kielbasa
- 2 tbsp cream or light cream or more to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 package cheese tortellini
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot and add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery and a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are aromatic.
- Add the kielbasa and allow it to brown up a bit. Next add in the tomato paste and stir well. Add the tomatoes, broth, and spices next. Allow to come to a simmer and reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add in the cream and the tortellini and allow the tortellini to cook. I used a brand that cooks in 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook the pasta separately and add it in. Finally add the fresh spinach and allow it to wilt. Stir and taste and season as needed. Serve with grated parm on top.