Using eggs for dinner is really economical and since we have chickens and always have extra eggs, finding ways to use them for dinner is a fun challenge. These open faced bacon and egg sandwiches are super fast and easy, and SO good.
You could use egg salad or fried eggs here too, but I liked scrambled for this sandwich. I toasted some slices of rye bread in a hot skillet with a little garlic olive oil for extra flavor. I used my oven method to cook the bacon, then chopped it. I used a simple mix of a little mayo, some dijon and little salt and spread that on the bread, then topped it with the scrambled eggs and bacon. Chopped scallions added a nice burst of flavor and freshness. My family loved these and they were one of the easiest dinners I have made lately.
I cook my scrambled eggs by whisking the eggs with a little salt, pepper and a splash or milk or water to help fluff them up. How do you cook yours? Hope you enjoy this sandwich.
Open Faced Bacon and Egg Sandwiches on Rye
- 4 slices rye or other bread
- oil for toasting bread and cooking eggs
- salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 package bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- chopped scallions
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium and toast the rye bread until lightly browned and crisp. You can use a toaster too.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and whisk the eggs with some salt, pepper and a bit of milk or water. Heat pan over medium high until hot, then lower it to medium low. Add the eggs and slowly scramble them to your liking.
- Cook the bacon according to your favorite method. I love the oven. Chop the cooled bacon.
- Mix the mayo/dijon and season with salt. Slice the scallions. Top the toast with a little of the mustard spread, the scrambled eggs, chopped bacon and top with scallions and serve.