I love these rolls! They are one of the breads I bake on a regular basis. They are super tasty and have a flavorful, chewy texture. These sandwich rolls bake up golden brown and lovely. My kids have been known to eat them straight from the oven right when they finish baking.
This recipe makes 12 rolls, but you can cut it in half to make 6 if you prefer. These freeze amazingly well, so I always make 12 and store the extras in my freezer. We just pull them out when we need them. Homemade bread doesn’t have preservatives, so any bread you don’t use within a day should go in the freezer to keep it soft and fresh.
If you are new or newish to bread baking, see my post on our favorite sandwich bread for a tutorial on getting started. As have mentioned in my other bread posts, I use this scale, and this dough bucket for all my breads.
In order to shape the dough for these rolls, divide this risen dough into 12 pieces (I use my scale, but you can just eyeball the pieces if you don’t have one. Your rolls may vary a little in size but that is ok :)). You shape each roll like a little log by folding the long sides into the center, and then bringing the now long sides together and sealing closed, like the pictures below.
If you want to try making a super versatile, easy and delicious sandwich roll, give this recipe a try.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 4 tbsp oil
- 5 cups bread flour give or take 1/4 cup
- Add the ingredients to a stand mixer with dough hook, or knead by hand. Knead until the dough comes together into a smooth ball that clears the sides and bottom of the bowl and passes a windowpane test.
- Spray a large bowl or dough bucket with oil spray and place the dough in it. Allow it to rise until doubled, about 1 hour, but that depends on your environment so time can vary.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased surface and divide into 12 pieces.
- Slightly flatten each piece and roughly shape into a rectangle, being careful not to push all the air out. Pull each long edge into the center and push down to stick. Then take the now outside edges and bring them together and pinch to seal so that you now have a little log of dough.
- Place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet and preheat your oven to 400. Cover the rolls with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise for another 40 minutes or so until puffy.
- Bake until they are dark golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. The internal temp should be at least 198. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely (but you can sneak a warm one to eat).
*note – as an Amazon Affiliate, I receive a small portion of any sales made through links on this site.
8 thoughts on “Sandwich Rolls”