In addition to my son’s hospitalization, we have all have had covid these past two weeks except for my daughter. I can still smell and taste, but my husband and sons can’t. We were all so ready for homemade food after 3 weeks of not having any, but it is hard to know what to make when most of us can’t taste anything! Has anyone else lost taste and smell, and what did you eat?
I decided to try this steak bites with miso ginger dressing from woks of life tonight. If you haven’t been to the Woks of Life site, highly recommend them. I figured salty miso plus slightly spicy ginger might come through a little for my taste impaired family.
I made this recipe pretty much as written. I used white rice as the base. See my post here on perfectly cooked Asian white rice on the stove top. I used bok choy and onions as the vegetable and cooked them in the pan juices from searing the steak as suggested. So yummy! This was a pretty quick meal to make, but packs a ton of flavor. Definitely recommend this recipe if you are looking for an interesting and delicious dinner but are short on time.
Steak Bites With Miso Ginger Dressing + Bok Choy and Rice
For the dressing:
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tbsp honey or sugar
For the bowls:
- cooked rice
- bok choy or other vegetables
- 1 lb steak sirloin, ribeye, or skirt cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Clean and prep whatever veggies you are using so they are ready to go.
- Season steak with pepper and little salt (not too much because dressing is salty).
- Heat skillet over high heat. Turn on your fan and open your windows. Add butter to the pan and brown slightly. Add the dark soy. Put some of the beef in the pan in a single layer. Do not add too much or it will steam not sear.
- Allow it to sit for 45 seconds or so without moving. Then flip and do the same to another side. You want to sear the steak, but leave it medium rare inside so do not cook for too long.
- Cook the rest of the steak and toss the veggies into the same pan to very briefly cook in the pan drippings. Place steak and veggies over the rice and top with the dressing.