I love a good burger. Especially my husband’s home ground and grilled burger patties. I also really love a great veggie burger or black bean burger. I saw this recipe on Domestic Super Hero and was intrigued by the jalapeno popper/black bean burger combo.
This recipe is basically a black bean burger with onion, corn, scallions and seasonings added to the mix and the center is stuffed with cream cheese and charred jalapenos. It is served on a bun topped with melted cheese and more jalapenos. Sounds delicious right?
This recipe starts with processing the beans in a food processor along with the seasonings and breadcrumbs. The mixture is chilled for 60 minutes to help it stay together, so allow time for that.
Once the mixture is chilled, you shape them into patties and put a bit of the jalapeno/cream cheese mix in the center. The recipe says you can grill these, which would be amazing, but I just pan fried mine in the interest of time. That worked well too. They held their shape well when cooking them, although we discovered you cannot squish them between the buns 🙂
Jalapeno Popper Black Bean Burgers
For the burgers:
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 scallions chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese room temp
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 4 rolls
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- sliced pickled jalapenos or candied jalapenos
- burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard etc optional
- Place the onion, 1 jalapeno, and garlic into the food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Add the beans, oats, corn, scallions and spices as well as salt and pepper to taste and the breadcrumbs.
- Plus for 20 seconds or until fully mixed. Scrape down the bowl and process for 10-20 seconds.
- Place in a bowl and put into the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the broiler and place the 2 jalapenos on a cookie sheet and brush with oil. Broil until the skins are slightly blackened. Cool and dice them.
- Combine the cream cheese and the 2 roasted jalapenos and season with salt.
- Form the black bean mixture into 4 patties using a 1/3 cup measure. Make a well in the center and add about 1-2 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture. Cover with a bit more bean mixture to seal.
- Heat a frying pan with a coating of oil until hot. Place the patties in and fry until they are getting crispy. Flip and cook the other side until also getting browned and cripsy. Keep flipping and cooking until they are hot all the way through.
- Place patties on the buns with the toppings and enjoy!