This is totally my kind of a dinner and I could eat this all the time and be happy. Even though I called this a sushi bowl, there isn’t actually any raw fish. You could add some sashimi though and it would be amazing… I might do that actually next time 🙂 I love tofu tough, so I am happy eating it just like this.
I called it a sushi bowl because it has both spicy mayo and eel sauce, which are very commonly used on sushi rolls. Eel sauce has no eels in it, it is just often served with eel. It is sweet and tangy and so good. You can get some here. I made the spicy mayo by mixing mayonnaise with this chili crisp, which is my favorite way to make spicy mayo now.
I used the same marinade/method for this that I used in the tofu banh mi sandwiches. Pressing the tofu first really allows the marinade to get absorbed by the tofu and gives it so much flavor. I added cucumbers, avocados, sliced jalapenos, edamame and cilantro to the bowls. The combo of really flavorful tofu and sauces with crunchy fresh cucumbers, creamy avocado, and spicy jalapeno is amazing.
Marinated Tofu Sushi Roll Bowls
For the tofu:
- 2 14oz blocks firm tofu cut in half horizontally and then cut into about 6-9 squares per sheet
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha
For the spicy mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- chili crisp to taste I used about 2 tbsp
For the bowls:
- cooked rice
- chopped cucumber
- frozen shelled edamame cooked according to package
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1-2 ripe avocados chopped roughly
- eel sauce
- spicy mayo
- cilantro leaves
- black or regular sesame seeds
For the tofu:
- Press the tofu between layers of paper towels and two cookie sheets with a big can or bottle on top to press out some of the water. Press for 30 minutes, changing the paper towels out after 15. Then mix the marinade ingredients well and pour over the pressed tofu in a 9×13 pan. Flip over and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium. Add the tofu and cook without moving until they are browned and slightly crisp on one side. Sprinkle with a little salt. Flip and brown the other side.
- Combine the mayo and chili crisp. Place some rice in a bowl and top with the chopped vegges, tofu, cilantro, sesame seeds and drizzle over the two sauces.