This sandwich is way more delicious than it has a right to be for how easy it was to make. My family loves pesto and I usually make a few batches of homemade pesto each summer. I used Wegman’s pesto here though to save time, and we loved it, so I may just buy that from now on.
Marinated chicken breast is the protein in this sandwich, although you could used shredded rotisserie chicken too. I halved my chicken breast horizontally to give me flatter pieces and pounded them out a bit for tenderness (anyone else notice how tough and huge chicken breasts have gotten lately?). I marinated them in some olive oil, salt, garlic, pepper and lemon overnight and pan seared them.
I used sliced mozzarella here but you could also use fresh. Arugula, tomato and red onion are great on any sandwich, and I added some chopped banana pepper from my garden as well. I served on these hoagie rolls. Serve with extra pesto on the side and you have a winning sandwich everyone will love.
Pesto Chicken Sandwiches
- pesto sauce fresh or store bought
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- sliced tomato
- sliced red onion
- 4 soft rolls
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- Slice chicken breasts horizontally and pound them to 1/3 inch thickness. Place in a ziploc bag with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and some salt and pepper. Marinate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Heat a skillet over high heat and film with oil. Add the chicken and sear until well browned. Flip and sear the other side. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked. Set aside to cool a little.
- Toast the cut sides of rolls slightly if you like. Place a slice of mozzarella on the roll and top with the chicken. Drizzle with pesto and top with arugula, red onion, tomato and banana pepper if you like.