I love how different cultures have curries, and they are so completely different from each other, and all SO good. Thai red curry noodles uses red curry paste and coconut milk, along with fish sauce and lime juice to create a highly flavored broth for chicken, veggies and noodles.
I use this red curry paste if I can find it. Some grocery stores carry it and you can find it at most Asian grocery stores or on Amazon. The one they sell in most grocery stores is fine too if that is what you have, I just prefer this brands flavor. I also use my favorite fish sauce for this dish.
You can add whatever veggies you like to this. Typical veggies for this dish are onion, bell pepper, carrot, sometimes zucchini. You could also add broccoli or any squash. You can leave the meat in or leave it out. I added both chicken and tofu to mine today. Different noodles can also be used. Rice noodles work well, or Asian wheat based noodles like these (this is what I used today).
This dish takes less than an hour to make and brightens up any weekday meal lineup. The combo of ginger, garlic, curry paste, lime and coconut is excellent.
Thai Red Curry Noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast thin sliced
- 1 package firm tofu optional
- salt and pepper as needed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 2 carrots cut on the bias into thin pieces
- 3 tbsp red curry paste start with 1 and add more if needed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- rice noodles or wheat noodles
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 scallions sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and stir fry until cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the pepper and onion and stir fry briefly to get a little browning on them. Set aside.
- Add the curry paste, ginger and garlic to the pot with a little more oil and stir fry until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, carrots, tofu, and chicken to the pot (keep the peppers and onions reserved until the end so they retain some structure).
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile cook the noodles in another pot according to package directions.
- Taste the broth and add more lime, fish sauce or sugar as needed. Ladle the soup over bowls of the noodles and top with the scallions, cilantro and basil and serve.
2 thoughts on “Thai Red Curry Noodles”
This looks delicious!