These Thai tofu burritos were SO delicious. It might seem like you’d miss the meat in a burrito, but in this one I did not. There are so many textures and flavors in this burrito, it was a joy to eat.
The tofu for this burrito is baked basted in a delicious sauce, which is also served with the burrito. It is combination a bunch of super flavorful Asian ingredients – red curry paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and peanut butter. The black rice used here is chewier than white rice and added great texture and flavor. The avocado adds creaminess and the veggies add crunch and freshness. I also added some Thai basil for extra flavor, you could use cilantro in addition or instead.
Red curry paste can be found at most grocery stores in the international section, or see my Favorite Items for the one I like to use from Amazon. The tofu takes about 30 minutes to cook and and so does the black rice, so the whole meal only took about 40 minutes to make. If you wanted to make a non-vegetarian version of this, it would be delicious with chicken or pork cooked in the same marinade. Hope you enjoy!
Thai Tofu Burritos
For the marinade/sauce:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- salt to taste
For the burritos:
- 1 16oz package firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 cups cooked rice of your choice
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, thai basil or both
- 4 large size tortillas or wraps
- Combine the marinade ingredients and mix well. Divide into 1/3 to use for the tofu and 2/3 to use as sauce in the burritos.
- Heat the oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment. Cut the tofu into 12 squares and place on paper towels to absorb the liquid. Brush them with the 1/3 of the marinade you separated and pour over any that is left. Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Flipping over near the end.
- Meanwhile cook the rice according to your package instructions.
- Cut up all the veggies and mix the shredded carrots and thinly sliced peppers with a bit of the remaining sauce.
- When everything is ready, place your wrap or tortilla flat on the counter or a plate and add rice, tofu, lettuce, avocado, peppers, carrots, herbs and drizzle with the sauce. Wrap up and cut in half. Serve with additional sauce for dipping. Yum!